Welcome to Jordan Hospital’s Neonatology program, including our Continuing Care Nursery. With advanced neonatal expertise and the dedication of a team of clinicians affiliated with Floating Hospital for Children at Tufts Medical Center, we are committed to providing babies with extra care and attention they need before they can go home.
Our dedicated nursery specializes in caring for premature and term newborns that need extra time to mature before going home. In addition to assuring a baby’s ability to eat and maintain their temperature, special care may necessary to resolve breathing issues and assure proper weight gain.
Critical milestones that assure special care babies are ready to go home include:
- Ability to maintain temperature in an open crib
- Consistently gaining weight
- Taking all feedings by breast or bottle
- 7-days free of apnea, bradycardia and desaturation spells
- Hearing screenings and newborn metabolic screenings
- Car seat safety tests to assure proper, safe positioning of newborns
Family Participation – what to expect in the nursery
- Parents are encouraged to take part in their newborn’s care, and staff offer on-going support and education to assure parent’s confidence and ability to care for baby prior to going home
- While we are pleased to offer 24 hour visitation, grandparents, friends and siblings must be accompanied by a parent
- In order to minimize risk of exposure to infection, children under the age of 12 are not permitted in the nursery between Nov 1 and April 1st
- Safety and security is always a priority – the nursery is a locked unit within the birthplace, and secured with 24 hour video surveillance
What else you may find helpful: