Meet new people. Learn new skills.
About Our Volunteers
Jordan Hospital volunteers supplement clinical and general service areas throughout the hospital, providing the many extra touches that help support Jordan’s mission of “providing health and wellness services with excellence.” In addition to being part of the hospital team, volunteers have the opportunity to work with, and learn new skills from, the hospital’s professional staff. By giving their time to Jordan, volunteers are truly reaching out to their community. Jordan Hospital depends on its volunteer staff as it depends on its medical staff and employees. The volunteers are an integral part of the hospital. Jordan volunteers are responsible, cooperative and commit time and energy to their roles. Today’s volunteers range in age from 14-90. They are from varied backgrounds; retirees, students, parents and others.
- Volunteers must be at least 14 years of age and in good health
- A commitment of 100 hours over 6 months is required
- Applications must be completed and references provided
- An interview is required and acceptance for service is determined by individual qualifications and the needs of the hospital
- Jordan Hospital performs criminal background checks on each applicant
- All volunteers must provide an immunization record and proof of (2) two negative TB skin tests which are administered at Occupational Health
- Volunteers are given an orientation to the hospital and trained in his/her area of service.
- The hospital supplies free uniforms and meals while on duty. Each year the hospital honors its volunteers at a special awards ceremony . The true rewards that the volunteers receive, however, come from the knowledge that they are giving service to others
Areas of Service
There is a volunteer opportunity that will satisfy most schedules as well as accommodate personal interest. Volunteering may involve direct patient contact or service in one of the support areas.
Volunteers are currently finding rewarding service in the following areas and special programs:
- The BirthPlace
- Clerical/Support Services
- Craft Cart
- Cranberry Hospice
- Surgical Services
- Dietary Services
- Endoscopy Department
- Emergency Department
- Escorting Patients
- Gift Shop
- Information Desk/ Reception Areas
- Medical Library
- Oncology Department
- Patient Representative
- Pastoral Visitor
- Pain Management
- Staff Education
- Summer at Jordan Program
Summer at Jordan
Jordan Hospital offers a volunteer program for students that is specifically designed for summer service. Volunteers must commit to 100 hours of service to be considered for this program. Participants in the Summer at Jordan Program reach out to others, serve the community and learn skills in the healthcare field. Transport discharged patients, deliver medical records, perform errands for the lab, assist the food service department, deliver mail and flowers to patients, these are just some of what you will experience. Shifts are available Monday through Friday from 8AM until 8:00PM. A variety of opportunities await you when you walk through the doors of Jordan Hospital. Your experiences can be a key to a new and exciting future. The application deadline is March 31st.
Jordan’s Tradition of Voluntarism
In 1901, Jordan Hospital received its charter from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for the purpose of establishing and maintaining a hospital in the Town of Plymouth. What once was a two-story brick building with 12 beds is now a 150 bed, non-profit acute care community hospital serving 12 towns and employing over 1200 people. Although voluntarism has always been part of the Jordan tradition, it wasn’t until 1968 when the Volunteer Services Department was established and a director hired. Since then, the program had grown to more than 350 volunteers who donate over 60,000 hours per year.